FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Transforming Lives through “SORA” – A Mission to Change the Way We Live
Nagoya, Aichi – December 2023 – SORA Technology Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Nagoya, Aichi; Founder and CEO: Yosuke Kaneko; hereinafter referred to as “SORA Technology”) proudly announces the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the College of Basic and Applied Sciences at the University of Ghana (Headquarters: Republic of Ghana) in December 2023. This partnership aims to collaborate in the areas of drone manufacturing and data collection, focusing on eradicating malaria in Ghana.
Malaria, a mosquito-borne infectious disease, poses a severe threat in Ghana, necessitating innovative solutions beyond traditional methods. Recognizing the potential of SORA Technology’s groundbreaking approach to malaria eradication using drones and artificial intelligence (AI), the University of Ghana decided to formalize the collaboration through this MOU.
SORA Technology, represented by Vice President Masaki Umeda, and the College of Basic and Applied Sciences at the University of Ghana, represented by Acting Vice-Chancellor Prof. Daniel Frimpong Ofori, signed the agreement.
SORA Technology employs drones and AI to efficiently eliminate malaria-transmitting mosquitoes (larvae or “larval source management”) at a lower cost and with minimal environmental impact compared to conventional methods.
■Key Points of the MOU
- Signing Entities: SORA Technology and College of Basic and Applied Sciences, University of Ghana
- Date of Agreement: December 7, 2023
- Comprehensive training programs for students in drone technology
- Exchange of technical expertise related to the design, deployment, and maintenance of drone systems for environmental data collection
- Collaboration on research and development projects, with a focus on improving drone technology for mosquito control, emphasizing enhanced data collection and analysis capabilities
- Implementation of practical internships for CBAS students
■About the University of Ghana
- Headquarters: Greater Accra Region, Republic of Ghana
- URL: University of Ghana
- Founded in 1948, the University of Ghana is the oldest and largest university in Ghana, with approximately 42,000 students. In 1979, the University of Ghana Medical School’s Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research was established with assistance from Japan.
■Drones and AI for Mosquito Control
SORA Technology’s unique approach uses drones and AI to eradicate malaria-transmitting mosquitoes during the larval stage, providing a more efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly solution compared to traditional larval source management. The technology involves identifying water bodies detected by drones, sorting them based on indicators such as water temperature, depth, and turbidity, and selectively spraying insecticides only in water bodies identified as having a high risk of mosquito breeding.
■About SORA Technology
SORA Technology aims to contribute to the United Nations’ goal of malaria eradication by 2030 through drone and AI-based malaria control measures. Additionally, the company seeks to leverage its expertise in drone operations in developing countries for reverse innovation in advanced nations, working towards the realization of a sustainable society resilient to disasters and pandemics using “SORA.”
SORA Technology Co., Ltd. – Public Relations: Sato and Kojima